Sunday, December 28, 2008

thick

Thick and wet, the snow shed off the roof last night, blocking the front door. Yesterday, DaNae and I shoveled off the roof of our old house for the renter. I didn't charge her, adding it to the list of good deeds I've done for you. Remember how you and DaNae begged to shovel that roof, just so you could jump off? Until last year, when I had to beg you to help me. Remember how mad I got?

Today, I'll be shoveling and plowing, again. It's warm and safe inside, and Cholo curls beside me.

Why did you have to die your father's death, son? I tried so hard to save you. Cholo has been depressed. I think he figured his boy would come home for Christmas. I gave him two beef bones. He curls up with Pop the Penguin, the stuffed toy I sleep with.

We haven't been to the mountain, yet. I got DaNae a day pass and we plan on snowboarding next week after the holiday crowd disperses. It won't be the same without you.

No comments: