Saturday, October 28, 2017

Setting an Extra Plate for Thanksgiving


A friend of mine sets an extra plate at the Thanksgiving table to honor members of her family that have died. At first, I thought this was strange, but I try to stay open to new ideas. In fact, the more I thought about setting a plate for my son, Niko, the more I liked the idea.
The first Thanksgiving without Niko was a silent affair, as the family gathered, unsure what to discuss, afraid to mention his name, worried about spilling salty tears on the stuffing. Every Thanksgiving has become a bit easier, as time has a way of smoothing over the rough edges of grief.

This Thanksgiving, I’ll wear Niko’s Thanksgiving apron (he loved to cook) as I make the pumpkin pies from pumpkins grown in Niko’s memorial garden. I will set an extra plate at the table, in memory of the boy that died on the cusp of manhood. We will tell Niko stories, and raise our glasses high, remembering his laughter, his sharp wit, and his impish smile. 

No comments: